The MOU will see WithOneSeed and RBG work together to develop and deliver education resources with a focus on environment that will be the foundation for the WithOnePlanet Open Education portal. The WithOnePlanet portal has three core elements – Carbon, Culture and Citizenship and will be launched in 2015.
WithOneSeed and RBG will jointly deliver the second Environmental Education Week in July in Baguia, Timor Leste. The theme of the education week will be ‘The plants of Timor Leste’ with the following aims:
- to engage all students in the importance of plants in our daily lives
- to demonstrate the diversity of Timorese plants, their ecological role
- to explore human uses of plants within to local community and to visitors to the region
- for the local community to learn about what other plants they could include in the reforestation initiative
- for students to learn how to collect plant specimens, record a plant specimen digitally and with the assistance of a plant taxonomist key out the plant species name
- for students to use native plants in a creative manner. This might be as a posy, a sculpture, mandala, mosaic, piece of jewellery, food or medicine. This will be supported by a report which includes plant names, the parts of the plant used, where they sources their plants and any other uses the plant has (for people and other organisms).
The RBG will be sending and education officer and a botanist to deliver the program.