WithOneSeed is the first social enterprise taking action on climate change through community forestry in Timor Leste. It is dedicated to improving the resilience of subsistence communities to make environments sustainable, to end poverty and hunger, to deliver open education and to create regional partnerships.
xpand Foundation has developed the WithOneSeed program over the past seven years. It is a community participation program which assists subsistence farmers in the reforestation of their land. It is now the first internationally certified carbon farming program in Timor-Leste and it supports 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (2015).
Key achievements of the WithOneSeed program to date include:
- approximately 700 participating farmers (5% of the Baguia population)
- over 110,000 trees planted and under management, increasing by 20,000 trees per year
- removed more than 78,000 tonnes of CO2e from the atmosphere
- 13 community-based propagation nurseries under management
- 11 local staff employed by Ho Musan Ida
- established the Timor-Leste registered Baguia Farmer Cooperative
- established the Baguia Finance Cooperative
- successfully undertaken a Gold Standard performance audit
- maintained an MOU with the Government of Timor-Leste
WithOneSeed has embraced the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
The WithOneSeed community forestry program has sequestered over 78,000 tonnes of CO2e to the end of 2017. Each tonne of CO2e equates to one carbon credit or offset. We have called these CarbonSocial credits and they are available for purchase at www.carbonsocial.global. These carbon credits will allow you or your organisation to become carbon neutral. They also help deliver the 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by:
- ending poverty and hunger and supporting sustainable farming and lifelong learning.
- promoting decent work, sustainable agricultural communities and economic growth
- taking action to combat climate change, manage forests and reverse land degradation.
- encouraging global partnerships for sustainable development through relationships with Australian schools.
- empowering women and children, (particularly girls), by increasing family income, facilitating children’s education and creating
family job prospects.
The governance of the WithOneSeed program is managed by the xpand Foundation. It is a long-term program, running from 2010 to 2039, and therefore needs a clear strategy and action plan. The xpand Foundation has a WithOneSeed Business Plan and Risk Assessment document which the Board of xpand Foundation requires to be reviewed frequently to inform Board decisions.
WithOneSeed in Australia
WithOneSeed is ‘planting’ seeds through regional partnerships and open education initiatives to enable Australians to better understand the impacts of carbon on our environment, on our culture and on our rights and responsibilities as global citizens.
WithOneSeed in Timor Leste
WithOneSeed is working with subsistence farming communities to generate income through a community forestry initiative. The reforestation of their land reduces soil erosion, improves soil and water quality, crop yields and nutrition, which improves the health and wellbeing of the community. It also helps to build the local economy, boost education and training and to deliver social and economic participation.