WithOneSeed a social enterprise that is taking action on climate change through community forestry in Timor Leste. It is dedicated to improving the resilience of subsistence communities to make environments sustainable, to end poverty and hunger, to deliver open education and to create regional partnerships.
xpand Foundation has developed the WithOneSeed program over the past seven years. It is a community participation program which assists subsistence farmers in the reforestation of their land. It is now the first internationally certified carbon farming program in Timor-Leste. It supports 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (2015).
- developed the capacity for subsistence communities in Baguia to replant and maintain forests,
- built local economies,
- delivered practical agroforestry and permaculture training, and
- built regional partnerships.
Key aspects of the WithOneSeed program include:
- Seedlings are propagated locally in Baguia and given to participating farmers to plant on their land in locations of their choosing;
- To encourage participation and to introduce much-needed income into the community, participating farmers receive an indexed annual incentive payment for each surviving tree, up to 500 trees;
- Farmers are supported with agroforestry training and advice on the planting and care of trees;
WithOneSeed has embraced the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
CarbonSocial credits can help deliver the 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by:
- ending poverty and hunger and supporting sustainable farming
and lifelong learning.
- promoting decent work, sustainable agricultural communities and economic growth
- taking action to combat climate change, manage forests and reverse land degradation.
- encouraging global partnerships for sustainable development through relationships with Australian schools.
- empowering women and children, (particularly girls), by increasing family income, facilitating children’s education and creating
family job prospects.
By the end of 2017, WithOneSeed will have:
- approximately 700 participating farmers (5% of the Baguia population)
- over 100,000 trees planted and under management, increasing by 20,000 trees per year
- removed more than 40,000 tonnes of CO2e from the atmosphere
- 13 community-based propagation nurseries under management
- 11 local staff employed by Ho Musan Ida
- established the Timor-Leste registered Baguia Farmer Cooperative
- established the Baguia Finance Cooperative
- injected over $150,000 into village economies through payments to farmers for maintaining trees and through salaries for staff employed by Ho Musan Ida
- developed a WithOneSeed Business Plan and Risk Assessment document which the Board of xpand Foundation requires to be reviewed frequently to inform Board decisions.
WithOneSeed in Australia
WithOneSeed is ‘planting’ seeds through regional partnerships and open education initiatives to enable Australians to better understand the impacts of carbon on our environment, on our culture and on our rights and responsibilities as global citizens.
WithOneSeed in Timor Leste
WithOneSeed is working with subsistence farming communities to generate income through a community forestry initiative. The reforestation of their land reduces soil erosion, improves soil and water quality, crop yields and nutrition, which improves the health and wellbeing of the community. It also helps to build the local economy, boost education and training and to deliver social and economic participation.